SEARCH

Entries in Monarchy (3)

Friday
Nov042011

Kate Middleton Sparks Pregnancy Rumors

Mike Marsland/WireImage(NEW YORK) -- Kate Middleton’s refusal to eat peanut paste during a royal appearance in Copenhagen is sparking rumors that she may be pregnant with a little peanut herself.

Cameras caught Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, politely declining to sample a bite of peanut paste as she and Prince William visited a United Nations aid depot in Copenhagen on Wednesday.

Doctors and government experts have long urged pregnant women to stay away from peanuts and their bi-products to avoid allergies.

While her husband and hosts, the Danish Crown Prince and his wife, dug into the paste, a staple of UNICEF packages handed out in areas suffering from famine, Kate said no.  Reports say she also gave her husband a knowing look as he examined the paste’s packaging and label.

Adding to the speculation is the reaction from the Palace, which is normally mum on all matters Kate.

“Her spokesman went out of their way to stress that she has no nut allergy whatsoever,” Duncan Larcombe, royal editor for The Sun, told ABC News.

Also fanning the rumor mill is the timing of a potential pregnancy for Kate.

Just last week, the British parliament changed the country’s succession rules –  in place for more than 300 years — to allow females to become the head of the monarchy. In other words, if Kate is indeed pregnant, and it’s a girl, the baby could be Queen.

British Prime Minister David Cameron was said to have initiated the change in the rules so that the first child of William and Kate could benefit regardless of the sex.

Kate’s headline-making “no” to the peanut paste came as she and William made their official overseas humanitarian trip. While in Copenhagen, the newlywed royals learned more about the situation in drought-stricken East Africa, toured the UN facility and even pitched in to help pack cardboard boxes of supplies.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Oct142011

Could Will and Kate's Royal Baby Girl Be Queen?

Niall Carson - WPA Pool / Getty Images(LONDON) -- A centuries-old tradition that gives preference of succession to the British throne to princes rather than princesses could soon come to an end.

The British parliament has proposed changing the rules -- in place for more than 300 years -- to allow females to become monarch.  Currently, females can only do so if they have no brothers, which is why Queen Elizabeth II was allowed to become ruler.

British Prime Minister David Cameron is taking the first steps to change the rules so that the first child of Prince William and Kate Middleton could benefit.

“I am very clear that it is an issue that we ought to get sorted, and I would be delighted to play a part in that,” Cameron said of his efforts.

By the way, there’s no indication that Middleton is pregnant.

The prime minister wants to update the Act of Settlement, the 310-year-old agreement that not only gives women second-class status, but would also lift a centuries-old ban on British monarchs marrying Roman Catholics.

In a letter to Commonwealth nations that recognize the queen as their head of state, Cameron described the ban as a “historical anomaly” because it does not bar those who take spouses of other faiths.

“We do not think it can continue to be justified,” he wrote.

The 16 Commonwealth nations that recognize Queen Elizabeth as head of state must give their formal approval before the proposal can take effect.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Feb182011

Bahrain Protesters Continue to Call for Ouster of Monarchy 

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(MANAMA, Bahrain) -- Tensions remained high Friday in the Middle East kingdom of Bahrain after authorities banned all pro-democracy protests amid funerals for those killed in the crackdown and calls for the ouster of their ruling monarchy.

Soldiers reportedly fired weapons and tear gas canisters into the air Friday morning as thousands once again gathered to march toward Pearl Square in protest of the government's ban on demonstrations. At least 100 people were injured, some with gunshot wounds, hospital officials said.

The violence erupted hours after protesters came together to mourn those who were killed in Pearl Square during a midnight clash with police Thursday.

Crown Prince Salman al Khalifa appeared on state television to express his condolences to the families of those who died Thursday, and appealed for calm and unity. He also said that the government was willing to negotiate but that the protesters must agree to stand down first.

Meanwhile, President Obama has called on the governments of Bahrain, Libya and Yemen to show restraint as reports of violence come pouring out of the Middle East. On board Air Force One, Obama said the countries should respect the rights of the citizens demonstrating peacefully and expressed condolences to the families of those who were killed.

At least five people were killed in the demonstrations after police stormed and dismantled protest camps set up at Pearl Square Thursday in the kingdom's capital of Manama. Riot police had responded with tear gas and rubber bullets. That same square had been scrubbed clean Friday by the government.

Bahrain is a crucial U.S. ally and the island nation is host to the U.S. Navy's Fifth fleet and about 6,000 U.S. troops.

Protesters in Bahrain are demanding not just jobs but also the release of political prisoners and broad constitutional reforms. They are calling for the end to the monarchy that has ruled Bahrain for 200 years.

Elsewhere, protesters will be back on the streets after Friday prayers in Cairo Friday.

This time, however, they'll be celebrating the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio