SEARCH

Entries in News of the World (32)

Friday
Feb082013

Duchess Sarah Ferguson Settles Phone-Hacking Dispute with Newspaper Group

Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Sarah Ferguson has settled her phone-hacking legal claim against the publishers of the now defunct British tabloid The News of the World.

Ferguson, the Duchess of York, received a public apology and undisclosed damages in an out-of-court settlement from Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, according to The Guardian.

She was among the victims of the illegal practice that led to the closure of the paper in 2011.

A total of 144 people, including singer James Blunt and actor Hugh Grant, have so far settled claims over phone hacking with the publisher, The Guardian reports.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul242012

Eight Charged in Rupert Murdoch Hacking Scandal

WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- After more than a year in the headlines, eight of Rupert Murdoch’s reporters and editors in Britain have been charged with hacking the voicemails of more than 600 people over a period of five years -- all in search of sensational stories for Murdoch’s now-shuttered tabloid The News of the World.

“There is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction inrelation to one or more offenses,” said Crown Prosecutor Alison Levitt at a news conference Tuesday morning.

Among those charged are Andy Coulson, former aide to Britain’s prime minister and ex-editor of The News of the World, and Rebekah Brooks, Murdoch’s trusted head of British operations.

The story exploded in Britain last year when it was revealed that The News of the World had hacked the phone of missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler and reported on the desperate messages left by her parents. When her family noticed that voicemails were being deleted from her phone, they were convinced she was alive. But, in fact, she had been murdered.

That revelation revolted the entire country and sparked what has been the decline of Murdoch’s global media empire.

In a statement Tuesday, Brooks denied the accusations, saying she was “distressed and angry” at prosecutors’ decision to charge her.

Watch More News Videos at ABC
2012 Presidential Election
Entertainment & Celebrity News

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
May152012

Rebekah Brooks to Be Charged in Phone Hacking Case

MAX NASH/AFP/Getty ImagesUPDATE: Former tabloid editor Rebekah Brooks has been formally charged as part of the phone hacking investigation taking place in Britain.

(LONDON) -- Rebekah Brooks, the former editor of the now-defunct News of the World, will be charged with perverting the course of justice, prosecutors announced on Tuesday.

Her husband, along with four others, will also be charged.

The charges stem from the police investigation into the phone hacking scandal that forced the closure of the tabloid.  All six are accused of concealing documents, computers and other relevant materials from police.

Before the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced the charges, Brooks and her husband released a statement, saying: "We have this morning been informed by the Office of the Department of Public Prosecutions that we are to be charged with perverting the course of justice.  We deplore this weak and unjust decision."

The couple added, "After the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS we will respond later today after our return from the police station."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Apr262012

Rupert Murdoch Apologizes, Claims He Was Victim to Cover Up

WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- “All I can do is apologize,” Rupert Murdoch said Thursday as he conceded he could have done more to stop the hacking scandal that has engulfed his media empire and destroyed so many careers.

During Britain’s media ethics inquiry Thursday morning, Murdoch claimed he and his son were the victims of a cover up about the extent of phone hacking at their now-shuttered London tabloid the News of the World.

But he also pleaded ignorance.

“The senior executives were all misinformed, and shielded from anything that was going on there,” Murdoch told the inquiry.  “I do blame one or two people for who perhaps I shouldn’t name, because for all I know they may be arrested yet.  But there’s no question in my mind that maybe even the editor, but certainly beyond that, someone took charge of a cover-up, which we were victim to and I regret.”

Although he wouldn’t say who the two are, he referred to a “clever lawyer” who was friends with journalists connected to the hacking.

“This person forbade them to go to (News International chief executive) Mrs. [Rebekah] Brooks or (Murdoch’s son) James,” he testified.

There was a flash of anger at the commission counsel, James Jay, when he insinuated that Murdoch was part of the cover up.  Murdoch apologized, “I take that back,” and reached out his hand to Jay.

He went on to offer contrition.

“I am guilty of not paying enough attention to what was going on at the News of the World” Murdoch said.  “All I can do is apologize to a lot of people -- including all the innocent people at the News of the World who lost their jobs.”

There was also tough questioning from inquiry chair Lord Justice Leveson, who asked Murdoch if he “really did try to understand what was going on, or you felt you didn’t really feel the need to understand what was going on, it’s over, move on?”

Murdoch answered, “I have to admit that some newspapers are closer to my heart.  I also have to say that I failed.  And I am very sorry about it.”

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Apr252012

Damning Emails Put Murdochs, UK Government Back in Headlines

WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- After simmering on the backburner for months, the Murdoch scandal is back on the front pages of London’s newspapers on Wednesday with damning revelations that are igniting a new crisis for British Prime Minister David Cameron and his government.

More than 170 pages of James Murdoch’s emails have been released.  They show that senior staff in the office of Britain’s Culture Minister Jeremy Hunt’s were repeatedly giving confidential information to Murdoch’s lobbyist during critical negotiations over News Corps’ $13 billion efforts to take over BSkyB, Britain’s powerful and highly profitable satellite broadcaster.

Publicly, Hunt had insisted that he was acting independently and impartially, but the emails suggest he was secretly acting in the interest of the Murdochs.

On Wednesday, one of Hunt’s senior advisors resigned.  Now, there are widespread calls for Hunt’s resignation.  Hunt has dismissed those calls, telling parliament, “The idea that I was backing this bid is laughable.”

One email quotes Hunt referring to Murdoch’s efforts to push through the takeover, saying  “we’d get there in the end,” and adding he “shared” News Corporation’s objective.

But the smoking gun is in an email sent by Murdoch’s lobbyist the day before Hunt was to give a key speech in parliament about the takeover. 

The lobbyist wrote to James Murdoch: "Managed to get some infos [sic] on the plans for tomorrow (although absolutely illegal…!)”

The email goes on to give accurate information about what the minister would be saying a day later -- a serious breach of parliamentary privilege in Britain and explicit proof that the Murdochs were working inside the Cameron government.

That lead to screaming headlines in Wednesday morning’s London papers.

In parliament Wednesday, Opposition Leader Ed Miliband pounced on the revelations, saying a “shadow of sleaze” hangs over the Cameron government.

Not far from Westminster, James Murdoch’s father, Rupert, the scion of News Corp, began his first day of testimony at Britain’s media ethics inquiry.  The 81-year-old was sharp, focused and calm under examination.  He did get a little testy when pushed by what the inquiry counsel called subtle “sinister inferences” about his relationship with senior Conservative politicians in Britain.

“I’m afraid I don’t have much subtlety in me,” Murdoch responded.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Apr242012

James Murdoch Testifies in Leveson Inquiry in UK

Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg via Getty Images(LONDON) -- Rupert Murdoch and his son James are appearing before a British inquiry about press standards less than a year after being questioned at a parliamentary special committee over evidence of phone hacking at their defunct tabloid News of the World.

The widening hacking scandal rocked the media and police in a country where Murdoch owns many of the largest newspapers. 

James Murdoch is appearing first on Tuesday and Rupert Murdoch is scheduled to appear Wednesday and Thursday morning if necessary, the Guardian reported.

According to Hugh Tomlinson of the Queen's Council, the now defunct News of the World allegedly hacked the phones of 4,791 people, from stars to crime victims, to get juicy stories -- all with the encouragement of top editors at the paper and aided by some in the police force.

Rupert Murdoch is also expected to be grilled over allegations of impropriety at his other newspapers.

In February 2012, five employees of the British newspaper The Sun were arrested for allegededly making payments to public officials.  Four former and current Sun journalists were held in January, the BBC reported.

The Leveson inquiry, initiated by British Prime Minister David Cameron following the phone-hacking scandal, has heard from more than 100 witnesses since evidence hearings began in November, the Guardian reported.

Rupert Murdoch made a rare apology in British newspapers last year before echoing the sentiment at a parliamentary hearing.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jan192012

Jude Law Settles Hacking Suits Against Murdoch’s Corp.

BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Actor Jude Law has settled his lawsuit against Rupert Murdoch’s News International over illegal phone hacking allegations.

The star of the Sherlock Holmes series and The Holiday is one of dozens of people to receive payouts after being hacked by staff at the now-defunct News of the World tabloid newspaper.  In the deal announced in court, Law received $200,000 plus attorneys’ fees.  His ex-wife Sadie Frost settled for $77,000.

Law was not in court for the proceedings, but a statement by the actor was read in front of a courtroom packed with journalists and lawyers.  In it, Law said his phone was hacked repeatedly between 2003 and 2006, including while he was in the U.S., at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

The court heard statements from 18 victims of hacking. Only one victim, British politician Chris Bryant, appeared in court. After each statement, News International lawyers admitted the company’s guilt, apologized and announced monetary damages.

News International is not commenting on the settlements. Legal experts say the company is effectively “waving the white flag” and has no interest in putting the paper’s former reporters and editors on the stand.

Of the more than 60 lawsuits filed against the company so far, at least 10 still have not been settled and are scheduled for trial Feb. 13.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec202011

Piers Morgan On the Defensive in Phone Hacking Inquiry

Jordan Strauss/WireImage(LONDON) -- Former News of the World editor Piers Morgan appeared to backpedal before a British ethics inquiry Tuesday, first saying that he didn't believe he had listened to any hacked phone messages, then refusing to discuss how he came to hear a taped conversation between Paul McCartney and Heather Mills.

"I can't discuss where I heard that tape or who made it," Morgan told the Leveson Inquiry looking into Britain's phone hacking scandal. Asked if he listened to a tape of a phone message, Morgan replied, "Yes, I believe it was yes. I'm not going to discuss where I heard it or who played it to me."

When the CNN host was asked by Lord Justice Brian Leveson whether he thought it was unethical to listen to someone else's message, Morgan said, "It doesn't necessarily follow that listening to someone else talking to someone else is unethical."

Leveson responded that he would be "perfectly happy" to call Mills to ask her whether she gave Morgan permission to listen to her calls, to which Morgan replied, "Well, what do you expect me to say? I'm not going into details."

Mills has previously said that Morgan could not have obtained her voice mail message honestly.

Morgan appeared on the defensive after admitting under persistent questioning that he had heard the tortured phone message between Mills and McCartney as their marriage was unraveling. Earlier he had testified that he did not believe he had listened to any illegally obtained phone messages.

Morgan has steadfastly denied knowledge of phone hacking by his staff when he was editor of two of Rupert Murdoch's British tabloids, News of the World and the Daily Mirror.

The inquiry was set up by Prime Minister David Cameron after it was made public that News of the World had illegally eavesdropped on the voice mail messages of celebrities and other public figures.

Actors Hugh Grant and Sienna Miller, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and singer Charlotte Church have all spoken before the inquiry about widespread press abuse, while executives and lawyers for Murdoch's News Corp. have defended the tabloid.

Morgan has been under scrutiny since the scandal broke over the summer.

Back in July, British political blogger Paul Staines, who blogs under the name Guido Fawkes, claimed to have discovered a 2009 recording where some interpret Morgan as admitting knowledge of hacking and other unsavory activities by Murdoch journalists.

The former Fleet Street editor has also fought off accusations from James Hipwell, a former Daily Mirror financial columnist who called illegal phone hacking "endemic" during Morgan's tenure. Hipwell is scheduled to testify Wednesday before the inquiry. 

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Dec202011

Piers Morgan to Testify in Britain's Phone Hacking Scandal

Dave Hogan/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Piers Morgan will be answering -- not asking -- the questions Tuesday when he testifies in an ethics inquiry over Britain's phone hacking scandal involving Rupert Murdoch's now defunct News of the World.

The CNN host is scheduled to appear via videolink before the Leveson Inquiry, a judge-led investigation into the ethics and practices of Britain's scandal-tainted press.

Morgan has denied knowledge of phone hacking by his staff when he was editor of two of Murdoch's British tabloids, News of the World and the Daily Mirror.

His appearance has been widely anticipated, even as Morgan has made light of it.

"So heartwarming that everyone in U.K.'s missing me so much they want me to come home," he joked earlier this year amid demands that he return to give testimony.

The inquiry was set up by Prime Minister David Cameron after it was made public that News of the World had illegally eavesdropped on the voice mail messages of celebrities and other public figures.

Actors Hugh Grant and Sienna Miller, Harry Potter series author J.K. Rowling and singer Charlotte Church have all spoken before the inquiry about widespread press abuse, while executives and lawyers for Murdoch's News Corp. have defended the tabloid.

Morgan has been under scrutiny since the scandal broke over the summer.  Back in July, British political blogger Paul Staines, who blogs under the name Guido Fawkes, claimed to have discovered a 2009 recording where some interpret Morgan as admitting knowledge of hacking and other unsavory activities by Murdoch journalists.

Morgan asserted that there was "no contradiction" between his 2009 comments to BBC radio host Kirsty Young and his, "unequivocal statements with regard to phone-hacking."

"Millions of people heard these comments when I first made them in 2009 on one of the BBC's longest-running radio shows, and none deduced that I was admitting to, or condoning illegal reporting activity," Morgan said in a statement to ABC News in July.  "Kirsty asked me a fairly lengthy question about how I felt dealing with people operating at the sharp end of investigative journalism.  My answer was not specific to any of the numerous examples she gave, but a general observation about tabloid newspaper reporters and private investigators."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Nov212011

Hugh Grant: My Phone Was Hacked in 2007

Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Actor Hugh Grant accused British tabloids Monday of hacking into his voicemail in 2007 for a story about his love life, buying his private medical records, and burglarizing his apartment in an intrusive search for scoops.

The star of Notting Hill, Bridget Jones's Diary and several other movies testified Monday at the Royal Courts of Justice that The Mail on Sunday had published a story in 2007 claiming that he was having an affair with a "plummy-voiced woman" in Los Angeles.

At the time, he was dating writer Jemima Khan. Grant said that he believed the story was based on messages left by a business associate.

"She would leave charming, joking messages... And she had a voice that can only be described as plummy," Grant testified. "I cannot for the life of me think of any conceivable source for this story in The Mail on Sunday except for these messages on voicemail."

He was not having an affair with the woman, he added.

Grant said he had no proof The Mail on Sunday had hacked into his voicemail. However, Grant sued the newspaper for libel and won. It was the first time that a newspaper not owned by Rupert Murdoch has been implicated in Britain's newspaper phone hacking scandal.

Grant was the first in a series of celebrity witnesses due to testify about allegedly out-of-control phone hacking and other spying techniques used by the aggressive British media. He is to be followed by actress Sienna Miller and Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling.

The scandal has resulted in the shutdown of Murdoch's News of the World newspaper, several top editors being arrested and one former editor who became an adviser to British Prime Minister David Cameron was forced to resign.

Earlier in the day, the parents of murdered teenager Milly Dowler told of their experiences with the tabloids during the search for their daughter in 2002. Revelations that the News of the World had hacked the missing girl's phone enraged the public and prompted the creation of the committee that is reviewing the journalistic practices.

The girl's parents, Sally and Bob Dowler, told the nationally televised hearing Monday that at one point they took a private walk to retrace their daughter's last steps and were shocked and angered to learn later that they were secretly photographed by News of the World.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio