(WASHINGTON) – The FBI has told ABC News that they assisted in Wednesday’s arrest of a Dutch youth who was involved in a cyber-attack that was carried out by a group of WikiLeaks supporters.
The Dutch National Police arrested a 16-year-old boy who they say was part of “Operation Payback,” which aimed to bring down international credit card sites that decided earlier this week to halt donations to the whistleblowing site.
In the past 24 hours, the anonymous group behind most of the attacks has brought down sites belonging to the Swedish government and its prosecution agency after an arrest warrant was issued by the country for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
At a press conference Thursday, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged that the Justice Department is involved in the investigation related to “Operation Payback.” “We are aware of the incident that you have described and I will simply say we are looking into it,” Holder said.
A Dutch National Prosecutors Office confirms spokesperson said the teenager has confessed to involvement in the attacks. A court hearing is set for Friday.
Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio