UPDATE: French media said Wednesday morning that the alleged gunman in Monday's school shooting in Toulouse has been arrested. Police have denied those reports.
(TOULOUSE, France) -- The gunman who is believed to have been terrorizing southwestern France for the past week-and-a-half is surrounded by police Wednesday after they launched an early morning raid on the suspect's home in Toulouse.
The shooter, who has been identified as Mohammed Merah, a 24-year-old Frenchman of Algerian origin, is accused of opening fire and killing four people, including three children, at a Jewish school in Toulouse on Monday. He has also been tied to the deaths of three paratroopers who were gunned down in two separate incidents last week in the Toulouse area.
Negotiations have been underway with the suspect, who, according to officials, said he would surrender later in the day.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio