SEARCH

Entries in Suicide Bomber (28)

Tuesday
Jun112013

Massive Suicide Car Bomb Explodes Near Afghan Supreme Court

File photo. MAHMUD HAMS/AFP/Getty Images(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- More than a dozen people have been killed in a massive blast from a suicide car bomb in Kabul Tuesday.

The target appears to have been the Afghan Supreme Court, which is down the road from the U.S. Embassy. The bomber drove to the rear entrance of the courthouse and detonated the device. The back entrance is a very public and crowded residential area. Many of the victims were residents or court workers leaving for the day.

“This didn't happen on the main road leading to the Afghan Supreme Court,” explained ABC’s Muhammad Lila from Kabul. “It happened at the back entrance and the back entrance is bordered by apartments, houses, where people were living and just living out their daily lives and going about their normal routines. So this has certainly shaken residents here in the city of Kabul.”

Since the area was so crowded at the time of the blast, the casualty count is expected to go up as the day progresses. Officials have confirmed between 14 to 16 fatalities and up to 40 have been injured. Many of the injured are in critical condition.

The U.S. Embassy is still under lockdown following the explosion.

No group has taken responsibility for the attack so far.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Apr062013

Six Americans Killed in Attacks in Afghanistan

iStockphoto(KANDAHAR, Afghanistan) -- A suicide bomber killed five Americans and an Afghan doctor while wounding several others on Saturday while another American was killed in a separate incident in another part of the country.

In southeastern Afghanistan, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives while the convoy carrying the Americans passed by another convoy carrying a provincial governor. It’s unclear at this time which convoy the bomber was targeting.

The blast killed three U.S. troops, two American civilians, and the Afghan doctor. A U.S. official speaking on condition of anonymity said that several other Americans and Afghans were wounded in the attack.

An American civilian was also killed in an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan.

The attacks occurred as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff arrived to assess ways the U.S. can continue to province training once coalition forces leave.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio

Monday
Sep032012

Car Bomber Attacks US Consulate Vehicle in Pakistan

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A suicide bomber rammed a vehicle filled with explosives into a U.S. Consulate SUV in Peshawar, Pakistan, on Monday, killing at least two people and injuring as many as 19 others.

There were conflicting reports of the casualties. The information minister of Khyber Pukhtookhwa province said that two U.S. nationals were killed in the attack, but a statement from the U.S. Embassy said that "two U.S. personnel and two Pakistani staff of the Consulate were injured" and that "no consulate personnel were killed."

It was around 9 a.m. when the white car barged its way into the convoy guarding the US government vehicle. Shortly after, there was an explosion, a large plume of smoke and the smell of explosives filled the air, witnesses told ABC News.

Rehmat Ali, a passerby, said that he fell to the ground when the explosion happened and "when I gained senses and looked around I saw some people lying on the road and a vehicle on fire."

Scenes like this one is not new to Peshawar, which has been scarred by such attacks for decades.

In August 2008, then U.S. Consul General Lynne Tracy, along with two other consular employees, were attacked by a car bomber as their armored jeep left her house for her office located in Peshawar's safest locality. The occupants of the vehicle escaped injury.

And then again in May 2011 two armored vehicles belonging to the U.S. consulate were hit by a roadside bomb, wounding two American nationals.

All attacks including Monday's happened in the same locality which is considered relatively safe.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Aug102012

Senior US Officer Killed by Suicide Bomber in Afghanistan

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) -- A senior U.S. officer and two majors were killed in a suicide bomb attack in eastern Afghanistan Wednesday.

The suicide bomber struck as a group of U.S. military and civilian officials from the Army's 4th brigade, 4th Infantry Division were in Sarkowi in Kunar Province.  The suicide attacker detonated an explosive vest near the group.

Killed in the attack were Command Sgt. Maj. Kevin J. Griffin, 45, of Laramie, Wyo., the brigade's senior enlisted soldier.  As a command sergeant major, Griffin was one of the brigade's senior leaders and provided leadership and guidance to the 4,000-man brigade.

Also killed in the blast were Army Maj. Thomas E. Kennedy, 35, of West Point, N.Y., and Air Force Major Walter D. Gray, 38, of Conyers, Ga.  Gray was an air liaison officer and flight commander attached to the brigade.

The brigade is tasked with providing security in three provinces that border Pakistan.  Based in Fort Carson, Colo., the brigade arrived in Afghanistan this past April.

The explosion also killed American USAID Foreign Service Officer Ragaei Abdelfattah.  Another American foreign service officer and an Afghan civilian were injured in the attack.

In a statement released Thursday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton praised Abdelfattah's work in eastern Afghanistan over the last year as "critical to our efforts to support Afghanistan's political, economic and security transitions and was an example of the highest standards of service."  She said he was so committed to his mission that he had volunteered to serve a second year-long tour in Afghanistan.

Note: ABC News incorrectly reported earlier that the commander of the 4th Brigade was seriously wounded in the suicide bombing.  The commander was not injured.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jul192012

Bulgaria Official: Blast Suspect Had Fake Michigan Driver's License

Obtained by ABC News(BURGAS, Bulgaria) -- Bulgarian Prime Minister Boiko Borisov said on Thursday that an explosion on a bus with Israeli tourists in Bulgaria was likely carried out by a suicide bomber who was carrying a fake Michigan driver's license.

The attack occurred Wednesday on a parking lot outside Burgas Airport in Bulgaria.  According to officials, the blast killed seven people, including five Israeli tourists, the Bulgarian bus driver and the suspected suicide bomber.  Thirty-two others were wounded in the attack.

Novinite Daily quotes Borisov, saying the terrorist attack in Burgas is most likely the work of a suicide bomber.  Borisov said the suspect was carrying a fake Michigan driver's license but authorities haven't confirmed whether the American passport on him was fake as well.

The suspected bomber was described as a Caucasian man with long hair and sports attire.

The Bulgarian foreign minister said the suspected bomber was in the country for four to seven days and was approximately 35 years old, according to multiple Bulgarian media outlets.

"From what we could see on the CCTV video cameras, we think it's a person who was a suicide bomber," Bulgarian officials in Burgas told ABC News.  "The investigation is still going on in close cooperation with the Israelis and Americans."

The man was filmed walking around the airport for an hour prior to the attack by security cameras on the premises, according to the report.  His body sustained the most damage in the blast, leading investigators to believe that he set off a bomb located on his person when he boarded the bus.

Bulgarian police are checking fingerprints with all international databases and analyzing bombers' DNA to see if they can find a match with the suspected suicide attacker.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
May212012

Dozens Killed by Suicide Bomber in Yemeni Capital

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(SANAA, Yemen) -- A suicide bombing in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa Monday has left at least 96 dead and more than 200 wounded.

Yemeni officials suspect a suicide bomber dressed in a military uniform set off the explosives during a large military parade rehearsal in Sanaa's Sabeen Square, according to Mohammad Albasha, a spokesman for the Yemeni embassy in the United States.  The soldiers were practicing on the eve of the nation's unification holiday.

A witness at the scene told ABC News he had seen a soldier who was blown apart before his eyes.

Monday's attack comes as the Yemeni military has stepped up its offensive against members of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula with the assistance of U.S. unmanned drones.

In a phone call to ABC News, Ansar al-Sharia, an al Qaeda affiliate, claimed responsibility for the bombing, saying it was retaliation for the Yemeni Army's attacks and U.S. drone strikes in the southern part of the country.

video platform video management video solutions video player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jan062012

Explosion in Syrian Capital Leaves Several Dead, Wounded

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(DAMASCUS, Syria) -- An explosion in the Syrian capital of Damascus Friday morning has left at least 10 people dead and 46 others injured, according to Syrian state television.

Syrian TV says a police bus was attacked by a suicide bomber who detonated explosives on his belt when the bus stopped at a traffic light.  Bloody images of the attack's aftermath were seen on TV.

Friday's attack comes just two weeks after twin explosions at security buildings in Damascus killed 44 people.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jan032012

Five Dead After Suicide Bombing in Southern Afghanistan

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(KANDAHAR, Afghanistan) -- At least five people are dead and 14 others injured after a suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked a police checkpoint in southern Afghanistan Tuesday.

According to officials, the suicide attacker detonated his explosives to kill a border police officer at a checkpoint in Kandahar's first district. One officer and four children were killed in the bombing. Other children were also wounded in the blast.

The Taliban has since claimed responsibility for the attack. The Obama administration has expressed its eagerness to negotiate with the Taliban regarding Afghanistan's future, with Vice President Joe Biden recently commenting, "The Taliban, per se, is not our enemy."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Oct312011

Al Shabab: Suicide Bomber in Somalia Was American

FBI(WASHINGTON) -- Al Qaeda's Somali affiliate has claimed credit for a Saturday suicide bombing that killed 10 in Mogadishu, and says one of the men who carried out the attack was a 22-year-old man from Minnesota known to his friends back home as "Bullethead."

Abdisalan Hussein Ali, who was born in Somalia but raised in Minneapolis, disappeared from Minnesota in 2008. After Saturday's attack in Mogadishu, the terror group al Shabab released a tape that it said was made by the bomber prior to the assault, featuring an American-accented voice using U.S. slang to preach jihad. The voice urges other youths not to "just chill all day," but wage jihad instead.

On Saturday, two suicide bombers were among a force of militants disguised in Somali Army uniforms who attacked a military base of African Union peacekeepers in Mogadishu. At least ten people died in the bombing and the firefight that followed.

A Somali diplomat to the U.N. said that friends and family of Ali listened to the recording and confirmed his identity, according to The New York Times. If Ali is confirmed to be the bomber, he would be the fourth Somali-American to launch a suicide attack in Somalia. U.S. officials said they had not confirmed the bomber's identity but were investigating.

Ali was among the local youths indicted in absentia by a grand jury in Minneapolis in 2010 for providing material support to al Shabab. He is currently wanted by the FBI.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Ali graduated from Edison High School in Minneapolis, where schoolmates knew him as "Bullethead," and briefly attended the University of Minnesota before disappearing in 2008. The Times said that Ali was a pre-med student in college; the message that al Shabab attributed to Ali includes the statement, "It is not important that you, you know...become a doctor or... some sort of engineer."

After a June incident in which a Minnesota man apparently carried out a suicide bombing that killed two African Union soldiers in Somalia, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said that although she could not confirm the incident, "It's consistent with something we have been raising for months, which is a growth of Americans or U.S. persons who have become radicalized."

"That is a fundamental change in how we have seen terrorism [since] the attacks of 9/11," said Napolitano. Since 2006 as many as 30 young Somali men have left the United States to fight in Somalia. The probe into the youths going to fight overseas in Somalia's war received increased attention from the FBI and DHS officials after Shirwa Ahmed, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Somalia, blew himself up in a suicide bombing in northern Somalia Oct. 28, 2008 in an attack that targeted an African Union intelligence post. A second young man from the Seattle area blew himself up in an attack in 2009.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Monday
Oct312011

Suicide Bomb Targets Foreigners in Afghanistan

ABC News(KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN) – The regional office of IRD, a USAID subcontractor, was targeted Monday morning in what's being called a major attack; a suicide attacker driving a pickup truck began the attack, severely damaging the building. The explosion was followed by small arms fire.

According to Kandahar governor’s media office, the attackers took position inside a veterinary clinic in the area and continued to fire on security forces.

This was described as a major attack because it targeted both the UN and the USAID contractor in Kandahar city.

Although foreigners were targeted, none were killed. However, this attack does mark the second major attack on foreigners in Afghanistan in three days. According to UN, US and Afghan police officials, the UN building suffered severe damage from the truck bomb, and four civilians and one policeman were killed. Four individuals were injured, including one Nepalese guard at the UNHCR guesthouse.

On Saturday, 17 people -- including at least 9 Americans -- were killed when an armored bus was rammed by a suicide bomber's exposives-laden truck. It was the deadliest attack on coalition forces in more than two months, and was seen as a blow to the U.S.-led coalitions plans for a troop draw-down in the country.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio