Facebook

Twitter

iTunes

RSS

 

Entries in Surgery (4)

Sunday
Dec092012

Hugo Chavez to Undergo Third Cancer Surgery, Names Successor

Sasha Mordovets/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Venezuela's president Hugo Chavez, 58, announced Saturday night on state television that his pelvic cancer had "returned" and that he is heading to Cuba on Sunday to undergo surgery in the coming days.

Chavez had most recently traveled to Havana on Nov. 27, reportedly to undergo medical treatment that included hyperbaric oxygen, which is meant to heal tissues that have been damaged by radiation treatment.

Chavez said on television that after his re-election on Oct. 7, tests had not shown a sign of cancer, but he had been experiencing swelling and pain. "It's a very sensitive area, so we started to pay a lot of attention to that," he said, adding that during his last trip to Cuba, tests detected the resurgence of "malignant cells."

The planned surgery will be his third. Chavez first underwent surgery in Cuba in June 2011, and had a follow-up surgery last February, also in Havana.

Chavez made another important announcement - the first of its kind since he fell ill - he announced Vice President Nicolas Maduro as his successor. "We should guarantee the advance of the Bolivarian Revolution," said Chavez, whose decision to skip a summit of leaders in Brazil on Friday provided clues that the cancer had returned.

Chavez's most recent TV appearance is his first after a three-week hiatus from public view.

"I hope to give you all good news in the coming days," said Chavez, holding a crucifix. "With God's will, like on the previous occasions, we will come out of this victorious."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Dec242011

Prince Philip Recovering From Surgery

Paul Edwards - WPA Pool/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s husband for more than 60 years, is recovering after undergoing minor surgery to open a blocked artery.

The prince was hospitalized Friday evening after experiencing chest pains, British royal officials said. After some precautionary tests, he had minor surgery to open a blocked artery.

He was transported 60 miles from the Queen’s private country estate in Sandringham, where members of the Royal family have been gathering to celebrate Christmas, to Papworth Hosptital in Cambridge, Britain’s leading heart center, officials said.

The procedure was said to be “minimally invasive” and a stent was put in.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said the procedure was “successful” and he had a “good night” after the surgery.

Fit for his age, Prince Philip has generally enjoyed good health. Until recently, he took part in the demanding carriage-driving competitions.

The last time he was hospitalized was in 2008 for a chest infection, and even then, Philip, who’s been described as a tough man, didn’t accept any visitors, preferring to catch up with paperwork instead.

Saturday morning, the queen flew in the royal helicopter to visit her husband. She was accompanied by her children, Princess Anne, Prince Edward and Prince Andrew, according to the palace.

Prince Charles arrived with the Duchess of Cornall by car 45 minutes later.

As the prince recovers, the royal family is continuing with their Christmas festivities, hosted by the queen. In keeping with tradition, they begin with high tea on Christmas Eve, followed by a formal dinner and then the official opening of gifts.  The Queen is said to prefer handmade gifts instead of extravagant ones.

Philip, the duke of Edinburgh, is the longest-serving spouse of a British monarch. The pomp and pageantry of their 1947 wedding was a source of international intrigue and the start of a life of walking a few steps behind his wife in public.

When it comes to the family, however, Philip is very much the equal of his wife. He was instrumental in the decisions the couple made as they raised their four children and played a major role in Prince Charles’ choice of Lady Diana to be his bride.

Rarely missing any royal occasions, the prince has always been by his wife’s side.

“All too often I fear Prince Philip has had to listen to me speaking, but he has quite simply been my strength and stay all these years,” said the Queen.

But as he turned 90 in June, he scaled down his grueling schedule.

“I reckon I’ve done my bit, I want to enjoy myself … I’m just sort of winding down,” the prince said.

This has been a busy year for the prince.

In April, grandson William, heir to the throne, married Kate Middleton, now duchess of Cambridge, and in June he celebrated his 90th birthday.

Next year looks to be just as busy as the royal family prepares for the Queen’s diamond jubilee in June, a celebration of 60 years on the throne that will be sure to have all the extravagance observers have come to expect of the British royals.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Oct272011

Kate Middleton’s Scar from Childhood Surgery, Palace Says

Paul Burns/Clarence House via Getty Images(LONDON) -- Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, has a three-inch scar, mostly hidden in her hair above her left temple, and it peeked through her half-up, half-down hairdo as she hosted her first solo engagement.

A spokesperson for St. James’ Palace, where William and Kate keep their official office, said the scar was related to a childhood operation.

When pressed for more details, the spokesperson declined to elaborate, citing Kate’s privacy.

Unnamed sources told The Daily Mail that it was a “very serious operation,” but would not go into further detail.

This is the first time the scar had been noticed since Kate catapulted into the spotlight after she met Prince William at St. Andrew’s University in 2001, and it left many wondering about the cause.

“The scar could have been from anything, including a birthmark, trauma, neurosurgery or a benign growth of the skin,” said Dr. Roy Geronemus, director of the Laser & Skin Surgery Center of New York. “You can’t tell anymore than that.”

Aside from her headline-making scar, Kate’s first solo event as a royal went flawlessly. The Duchess of Cambridge stepped in at the last minute to take over the hosting duties of her father-in-law, Prince Charles, who had flown to Riyadh to offer his condolences to the Saudi royal family following the death of the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia.

The private, black-tie dinner took place at Clarence House, where patrons of the Prince’s charity, In Kind Direct, mingled with the future queen.

One of the Prince of Wales’ many charities, In Kind Direct helps facilitate donations from companies with excess merchandise and passes the goods along to charitable causes.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jul012011

Venezuelan President Reveals Removal of Cancerous Tumor

Sasha Mordovets/Getty Images(CARACAS, Venezuela) -- In a speech that aired on state television Thursday, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez revealed that he underwent two surgeries, including one to remove a cancerous tumor, during his time in Cuba.

Chavez traveled to Cuba in early June to remove a pelvic abscess, at which time doctors detected the malignant cells, prompting a second operation.  The 56-year-old did not specify where the tumor was found nor what type of cancer was detected.

It is not yet known when Chavez will leave Cuba, where he remains receiving treatment.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio