SEARCH

Entries in Victims (4)

Wednesday
Jan182012

First Cruise Ship Victim Identified

Sandor Feher, a Hungarian violinist, was the first victim from the Costa Concordia to be identified. (YouTube)(ROME) -- A Hungarian violinist who helped save young children aboard the ill-fated Costa Concordia was the first victim of the crash to be identified Wednesday.

Sandor Feher, 38, was identified by his mother, who confirmed that he was an entertainer on the cruise ship when it went down Friday, Jan. 13, after hitting a reef on the Italian coast.

Feher helped small children on the boat's deck put on life jackets before returning to his cabin to pack his violin, according to the Hungarian newspaper Blikk. Jossef Balog, a pianist on the ship, told the newspaper that Feher was last seen on deck, wearing his life jacket and en route to the lifeboat area.

Fehrer's body, however, was found inside the wreck.

The $250 million ship was carrying more than 4,200 passengers and crew when it crashed, 11 of whom have been found dead and 21 of whom are still missing.

Earlier Wednesday, Gertrud Goergens, a German woman who was listed among the missing, was located alive and well in Germany. She identified herself to police there.

Jerry and Barbara Heil, a couple from Minnesota on the cruise, still have not been found, according to a statement released by their children Wednesday.

The couple's White Bear Lake, Minn., church, where they were actively involved, planned to hold a prayer service Wednesday night at 7 p.m. for the couple. Church leaders said they expected more than 1,500 people to attend.

The search by the Italian Coast Guard for the remaining individuals was suspended Wednesday after the boat shifted on the ocean floor.

Costa Cruises, the company that owned the ship, announced Wednesday that it has assembled a team of salvage experts from around the world to help recover the ship's fuel reserves to prevent leaks into the ocean.

The company expected the fuel salvage to be completed by the end of the week.

It cannot remove the fuel until all rescue efforts are complete, however, because the ship could shift again once the fuel is removed, making it impossible to find any remaining bodies.

It was unclear when divers would be able to resume their search of the partially submerged cruise liner.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct252011

Turkey Earthquake: Two-Week-Old Baby Rescued from Rubble

ADEM ALTAN/AFP/Getty Images(ERCIS, Turkey) -- Rescue workers pulled a two-week old baby out from the wreckage of a destroyed building Tuesday -- 47 hours after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck eastern Turkey, killing hundreds of people.

A rescue worker in the eastern city of Ercis was seen on Turkish NTV handing the baby over to a medic.  The baby, named Azra Karaduman, was rescued from a seven-story apartment building that collapsed on Sunday after a powerful earthquake crippled parts of the country, including the towns of Van and Ercis.

The baby's mother and grandmother are reportedly still trapped inside the crumbled apartment building, but are believed to still be alive.  The BBC reported that rescuers were drilling through several layers of concrete to reach them.

The death toll from the devastating earthquake has now risen to 366, with 1,301 people injured, officials said Tuesday.

According to a statement released by the Disaster and Emergency Administration, the quake that struck Turkey's Van province Sunday afternoon has caused 2,262 buildings to collapse.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Oct252011

Search Continues for Turkey Earthquake Victims as Death Toll Tops 300

ADEM ALTAN/AFP/Getty Images(ISTANBUL, Turkey) -- As devastating as Sunday's earthquake was in southeastern Turkey, there is hope that the death toll in the two towns hardest hit by the disaster won't be as high as previously thought.

Rescue efforts picked up Monday as crews frantically used whatever equipment and manpower was available to sift through the rubble in Van and Ercis, where most of the 366 deaths have occurred.

Over 1,300 people were injured when the magnitude 7.2 temblor struck Turkey, a seismic region where earthquakes are common.

Despite this fact, buildings are often not built up to code, which explains why so many Turks were killed or badly hurt by Sunday's quake.  It's believed that more than one thousand structures collapsed.

Still, people trapped for more than 24 hours were being pulled out alive from the debris on Monday, giving their rescuers some semblance of optimism that others survived the catastrophe.

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

Friday
Aug192011

Families of Anders Breivik Victims Visit Norway Attack Site 

KALLESTAD, GORM/AFP/Getty Images(OSLO, Norway) -- Nearly a month after the bombing and shooting horror in Norway, it was a painful day for the loved ones.

Relatives of some of the victims made the sombre journey out to the island where the carnage took place.  Each family, accompanied by an officer, was shown exactly where their loved one died.  

Norway's Director of Health, Bjorn Inge Larsen admitted it was difficult, but added, "In the long run we know that seeing the scene of where these murders were taking place, is actually helpful."

Meanwhile, self-confessed killer Anders Breivik made another brief court appearance in Oslo.  The judge decided to keep him in solitary confinement for at least another month.

For survivor Emilie Bersaas, who ran for her life and narrowly escaped death, Breivik's name is not even spoken.

"I'm not spending time thinking about him.  Mostly I don't want to because I don't think he deserves my thoughts," she said. "I would rather that my friends that are not here today get my thoughts."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio