SEARCH

Entries in Video (33)

Tuesday
Nov202012

Santa’s Daring Mall Stunt Leaves Him Hanging in Mid-Air

G Goodman/YouTube(BERKSHIRE, England) -- One Santa Claus in England gave mall shoppers a bit more than they had expected when his rappelling stunt went wrong.

The Santa was descending from a hole in the roof of the Broad Street Mall in Reading as part of a show to light up the mall’s Christmas lights when his fake beard got stuck in the rope, leaving him hanging for about 40 minutes.

Video of Santa’s misadventure was posted on the mall’s website.

It starts out showing crowds gathered for the lighting and a male announcer can be heard calling for “Father Christmas.” The crowd responds with cheers and Santa appears from a hole above the area where the crowd had gathered.

He waves while he makes his descent, but at about the halfway point he stops.

The announcer, who had been chanting “Ho! Ho! Ho!” begins to address the Santa directly, while the crowd’s cheers turn to laughter.

“Oh, no! He hasn’t got the rope stuck in his beard?” the announcer said, adding, “Father Christmas, are you going to stay up there, Father Christmas?

“Well, shall we go on and switch on the lights anyway?”

The crowd roared its approval. Bright lights blinked and cheery Christmas songs began to play, all while Santa dangled in the air over the festivities.

The Daily Mail newspaper reported that Santa, who’s really 32-year-old Steve Chessell of the British Army, hung there for about 40 minutes before another member of his unit came to his rescue.

The video shows the other soldier rappelling down and untangling Chessell’s beard, allowing him to finish the descent on his own. When he reached the ground, he shook his rescuer’s hand. The crowd cheered.

Chessell was not hurt.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Oct192012

Video Released of Daring Rotterdam Art Heist

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(ROTTERDAM, Netherlands) -- Dutch police have released security footage from a daring art heist in which thieves broke into Rotterdam’s Kunsthal museum and stole seven paintings by famous modern artists including Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse and Claude Monet.

In the video, the two black-hooded thieves can be seen rushing in to the museum through what appears to be a side door, leaving the door swinging open while they gather the paintings. Less than two minutes later, they return with large parcels on their backs and run outside.

Moments later, one of the burglars returns and runs back in, but is back out the door in about 15 seconds. It is unclear what he or she was doing. There is some movement in the dark, but within seconds, the door is closed and the robbers are gone.

Police arrived at the museum less than five minutes after alarms started ringing, but it was too late. The thieves were gone.

Authorities are hoping that the release of the video could help them gather more tips.

 

It is being called one of the most dramatic and daring art heists in recent years. The masterpieces that were stolen have been valued at $100 million or more.

But Christopher Marinello of The Art Loss Register told ABC News’ Jeffrey Kofman that the value doesn’t mean much because the works are so well known.

“They are worthless, they can’t sell them,” he said. “However, to thieves they can trade for weapons, guns, they can use them for a get-out-of-jail-free card. They can try to make some demands for a reward from some insurance company or try and get some sort of a ransom out of them.”

At a press conference on Oct. 16, the museum described the theft as a “nightmare for the museum, and a real bombshell.”

The director of the Kunsthal museum says all the paintings are registered in special databases and that the museum works closely with at the Art Loss Register in England, the world’s largest database of stolen art.  Marinello said it was clear some of the most valuable pieces in the collection were targeted and that “those thieves got one hell of a haul.”

Ton Cremers, who founded the Museum Security Network, said he believes the “paintings will remain in the crime scene for many years. Maybe because they can’t sell them they might destroy them, but again it’s impossible to sell them.”

Dutch police are reviewing the surveillance camera footage. A Rotterdam TV station reports that police have already taken plaster casts outside the museum, possibly to discern what kind of vehicle was used as a getaway car. Police have said they believe the thieves entered the museum from the back.

According to Cremers, there is a “very modern security system in this museum and the alarm response was very quick, so the thieves were not able to steal many paintings, but unfortunately they managed to get out with a few paintings.”

On a radio program, the former director of the museum said that the priceless paintings might mean the theft was commissioned -- or that the works were “kidnapped” so that that the burglars could ask for a ransom.

The museum had just opened a new exhibition a few days earlier to celebrate its 20th anniversary, showing different genres such as impressionism, expressionism, and other modern art movements. More than 150 paintings were on display in the exhibit and came from the privately owned Triton Foundation collection.

The stolen paintings listed on the Dutch police website include:

  •     Pablo Picasso: “Tête d’Arlequin”
  •     Henri Matisse: “la Liseuse en Blanc et Jaune”
  •     Claude Monet: “Waterloo Bridge, London”
  •     Claude Monet: “Charing Cross Bridge, London”
  •     Paul Gauguin: “Femme devant une fenêtre ouverte, dite la Fiancée”
  •     Meyer de Haan: “Autoportrait” (c. 1889 – ’91)
  •     Lucian Freud: “Woman with Eyes Closed” (2002).

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jul172012

VIDEO: Cows Stampede Through British Neighborhood

ABC News(LONDON) -- A quiet Sunday morning in an English town turned into anything but after a herd of cows escaped from their field.

Residents on a cul-de-sac in the town of Harrogate in North Yorkshire, England, were awoken around 6 a.m. Sunday to thuds so loud it sounded like a stampede of cows.  When they looked outside, they discovered that is exactly what it was.

“It was a quite a confusing sight to wake up to,” one resident, James Lee, told the UK’s Telegraph.  “[It was] odd and extremely surreal to see at that point in the morning.”

It was Lee who captured the unexpected guests on camera.  His video shows the cows moseying around and leaving what neighbors reported as six-inch-deep hoof prints in their front lawns.

Just as quickly as they came, however, the cows disappeared. After about five minutes, neighbors said, the cows had enough and trotted the mile back to the field where they normally reside.

“They came up the alleyway, spent five minutes on the road and then went back again,” Lee said.  “I think most people on the street found it quite amusing really.”

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Thursday
Jun282012

Drug Cartel Rivals Behead Zetas on Camera

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- In the latest example of Mexico's warring drug cartels taunting each other with gruesome online videos, footage posted on a popular cartel-tracking blog shows members of the Gulf cartel interrogating and then beheading at least three members of the Zetas cartel.

The grainy three-minute video, which appeared on Mundonarco.com Wednesday, depicts five shirtless men on their knees, their chests painted with large black "Z"s, surrounded by masked members of the Gulf cartel wielding machetes.

Each Zeta prisoner states his name for the camera, at the prompting of an unidentified voice behind the camera. When asked who sent them, each responds "Z-40." "40," as he is known within the Zetas organization, is Miguel Angel Treviño Morales -- the cartel's second-in-command. The U.S. has offered a $5 million reward for information leading to the capture of "40," and he and his two brothers are also under federal indictment in Texas for alleged laundering of cocaine profits through a U.S. horseracing venture.

"You find yourselves here because you came to f*** us," says the narrator of the video, after the hostages have finished speaking. "Pay attention, men."

Then the slow and bloody process of hacking off their heads begins. "This is how all your filthy people are going to end," says the narrator as the victims plead for mercy.

Over a minute later, the video ends with masked Gulf members holding up three severed heads for the camera. "Very good, very good," says the narrator. The two other Zetas prisoners are not shown.

According to Mundonarco.com, the video was shot in Río Bravo, Mexico, on the U.S. border just south of McAllen, Texas in the state of Tamaulipas. Río Bravo is six miles from the Donna International Bridge border crossing. No date is given for the creation of the video.

The Gulf cartel has been operating out of Tamaulipas state since the 1970s. In 2010, when the Zetas cartel, which had once worked as the Gulf cartel's security force, went into business for itself, violence in Tamaulipas and the neighboring state of Nuevo Leon soared, with 2,000 dead in 2010 alone. Multiple mass graves have been discovered in the region and beheadings, hangings, and other forms of torture are common.

In January, Los Zetas released a video in which they hanged two members of the Gulf cartel. Last month, another video showed 49 decapitated bodies of migrant workers being dumped on a highway by alleged members of Los Zetas, with warnings to other cartels to expect similar treatment.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Friday
Jun152012

Teacher Who Showed 'Cannibal' Murder Video Fired

Montreal Police(MONTREAL) -- A Canadian teacher has been fired for showing his high school students a grisly video that allegedly shows porn actor Luka Magnotta murdering and dismembering his Chinese lover.

The board of the Cavelier-De LaSalle high school in Montreal called the teacher's actions "as inappropriate as it is offensive."

The teacher, unnamed by the school, was suspended with pay on June 4, the same day the video was shown. He apologized to the school via email and was given the opportunity to tell the school board his side of the story on Wednesday.

"This decision follows an investigation by the CSMB [the school board], which took into account the seriousness of the action, the impact on the students involved, the human factor, as well as the standards provided for teachers' collective agreements," the board said in a statement on Thursday.

"The teacher's unacceptable behavior demanded action unequivocally," Diane Lamarche-Venne, president of the school board, said in a statement.

Magnotta, 29, allegedly stabbed Jun Lin to death, hacked up his body and mailed Lin's body parts to two Canadian government offices and Vancouver schools. Magnotta sparked an international manhunt when he fled Montreal and was captured in Berlin on June 4.

In addition to the killing and mutilation, the video also allegedly shows Magnotta taking a fork and knife to the body and performing lewd acts with the body parts, police said. Authorities have said that Magnotta posted the video online and by the time police got it removed, copies had already been made that can be found online.

The school also said that the past few days were "particularly stressful" for the teacher of 29 years and the students whose lives were disrupted by the events.

In the hours following the video's viewing, the school assembled a "crisis team of psychologists and psycho-educators" to be immediately available to the students. The team remained at the school for two days and a psychologist was present at the school for the rest of the week.

A spokeswoman from the Montreal Police Department told ABC News that it would be possible for the teacher to face legal consequences for showing the video, but no inquiries have been made yet or charges pressed.

Magnotta is currently in Berlin awaiting extradition to Canada. He is expected to be returned by the end of June.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun122012

'Dead' al Qaeda Leader Appears in 'New' Video

AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- A new video surfaced online Tuesday featuring al Qaeda commander Abu Yahya al-Libi -- the same terrorist who American officials declared dead last week -- but the video doesn't appear to reveal whether it was made before or after his reported death.

In the new footage, which was posted in jihadi forums with captions referring to al-Libi in honorific titles generally reserved for the living, al-Libi discusses the ongoing violence in Syria but makes no specific reference to any specific significant events there. He does not mention the Houla massacre of May 25, in which the United Nations says more than 100 people, nearly half of them children, were executed, allegedly by government militiamen. Syrian opposition groups and the government have been engaged in a bloody struggle for more than a year, since well before al-Libi's reported death.

Al-Libi was declared dead by U.S. and Pakistani officials in June following a series of drone strikes in Pakistan. Other al Qaeda leaders have not confirmed or denied al-Libi's death, and an analyst with the terrorist tracking group IntelCenter said that it is "not unknown for groups to release videos of key figures that were filmed prior to their death but had not yet been released."

Before his death, the U.S. State Department's Rewards for Justice program listed a $1 million reward for information leading to al-Libi's capture. In 2010, the National Counter-Terrorism Center listed al-Libi as one of al Qaeda's top commanders and he was described by one U.S. official last week as among al Qaeda's "most experienced and versatile leaders."

"There is no one who even comes close in terms of replacing the expertise [al Qaeda] has just lost," the official said.

Al-Libi is among the highest-profile al Qaeda members to be killed by U.S. forces since a Navy SEAL raid killed top al Qaeda commander bin Laden in May 2011. He recently emerged as one of the most public faces of al Qaeda, appearing in several training and propaganda videos in the past two years. A letter from al-Libi chastising the leadership of the Pakistani Taliban was found among bin Laden's documents captured during the U.S. raid.

U.S. intelligence officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment on this report.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Wednesday
Jun062012

VIDEO: Dangling Chinese Toddler Suspended By Head in Grate

ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The first frame of the amateur video takes your breath away. A small child in China’s Guandong province is suspended from the corner of a four story residential building.

He looks to be not even 2-years-old, small enough not to know any better when he somehow escaped supervision on Sunday and climbed over the balcony wall and very nearly fell to his death.

Instead, his feet dangle as his body is suspended from what appears to be a metal grating that runs the perimeter if the balcony. It looks as if the child is holding onto two of the horizontal rungs above him. But look closer and it seems only the child’s head is holding him up after his body slipped through a crack.

Below him an adult scales the side of the building, extending an arm above him to catch the toddler’s feet, giving the child’s head a break from bearing his body weight. Onlookers gathered and held a yellow blanket beneath the pair to catch them if they fell.

Emergency workers got there in time and both the child and the man who tried to save him are safe.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
Jun052012

WATCH: The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Message

Lewis Whyld - WPA Pool/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Queen Elizabeth II waved to a cheering crowd outside of London's Buckingham Palace Tuesday, the final day of her Diamond Jubilee.

In a pre-recorded video, the queen thanked celebration organizers and well-wishers.

Watch the queen's message:

video platform video management video solutions video player

 

Watch the ABC News special report:

video platform video management video solutions video player


Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Monday
Jun042012

Accused Murderer Luka Rocco Magnotta Captured in Berlin

Montreal Police Department(MONTREAL) -- Canadian Luka Rocco Magnotta, who allegedly videotaped the murder of his lover and mailed his body parts, has been captured in a Berlin Internet cafe, according to the Berlin Police Department.

A man in an Internet cafe spotted Magnotta at about 2 p.m. in Germany and recognized him as the Canadian fugitive, Berlin Police spokesman Thomas Neuendors told ABC News.

"That man from this small restaurant went on the street and there was a police car there. He stopped the policeman and the policeman went into this small café and so they found the man in search," Neuendors said. "At first, he tried to tell several different names, but at last he said, 'Okay, you got me.'"

Authorities had an arrest warrant for Magnotta and he was taken to prison. He is expected to make his first court appearance Tuesday, according to police.

Magnotta, 29, is wanted by Canadian authorities for first-degree murder and other charges.

He has been the focus of an international manhunt for the murder of his Chinese boyfriend who he allegedly killed on videotape before posting the video online and mailing parts of 33-year-old student Jun Lin's body to Canadian government offices.

Lin had been studying in Montreal since last July. He was last seen on May 24 and was reported missing to the Chinese consulate on May 29, according to the Montreal Police Department.

On the same day, a human foot was discovered by a receptionist who received a blood-soaked package at the Ottawa headquarters of the Conservative Party of Canada. A second package containing a hand was seized at a post office in Ottawa later in the day.

Meanwhile, a janitor in Montreal found a male torso in a suitcase behind a apartment building in the Cote-des-Neiges neighborhood. Magnotta was a resident of that building and Montreal police said that he was in a romantic relationship with Lin.

"We know that the suspect and the victim knew each other. It was not a random attack," Lafreniere said. "[Magnotta] knew the victim. They were having an affair."

Magnotta has no prior criminal history that police are aware of. Authorities have confirmed that the mailed body parts did indeed belong to the torso that was found and that the body parts mailed to Ottawa originated in Montreal.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Tuesday
May222012

WATCH: Baby Penguin Reacts to First Sight of Human

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Humans love to line up in front of the glass walls at penguin zoo exhibits, staring at the antics of the black-and-white, two-legged creatures.

But what about when the tides are turned, when penguins get a chance to meet the strange humans, observing them for the first time?

That moment was captured on camera by a man traveling to penguins’ home habitat, Antarctica.

“I was on a tour with friends in Antarctica when we visited a penguin colony,” visitor, Joel Oleson, explained.  “Our guide told us not to approach the penguins, but that it was okay for them to approach us.”

“I laid down to seem non-threatening, and the baby penguin approached me,” said Oleson, a self-described “travel junkie” who has traveled to over 100 countries since 2008 and blogs about his adventures at Travelingepic.com.  Watch the video to see what happened next:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio