SEARCH

Entries in Virus (2)

Monday
Apr232012

Iran Says It Foiled Cyber Attack on Oil Production

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(TEHRAN, Iran) -- The Iranian government claimed Monday that a massive cyber attack on the country's oil industry had been foiled, though it did damage some computer motherboards and erased some data.

"The cyberattack has not damaged the main data of the Oil Ministry and the National Iranian Oil Company," Oil Ministry spokesman Ali-Reza Nikzad told Iran's Fars News Agency. "We have a backup from all our main or secondary data, and there is no problem in this regard."

According to Nikzad, a virus attacked the ministry's main data systems, though he did not attempt to place blame for the alleged incident. The virus was reportedly found late Sunday inside the control systems of the country's main oil export terminal on Kharg Island, north of the Strait of Hormuz, which ships 80 percent of Iran's oil exports.

Iran's Mehr News Agency quoted a defense official as saying Kharg Island and the Oil Ministry were taken offline to protect them. The Oil Ministry's Nikzad said that Sunday's attack had been foiled by separating the servers from each other and disconnecting servers from the Internet.

Western nations, specifically Israel and the U.S., were widely believed responsible for the Stuxnet computer virus that attacked Iran's nuclear facilities in 2010 and damaged centrifuges, delaying Iran's production of enriched uranium. Though Stuxnet was found in computers worldwide, more than half of the computers affected were inside Iran.

Iranian state media said that after an attack by the Duqu virus in 2011, the government had taken measures to insulate its infrastructure from computer malware. The Duqu virus was apparently designed to gather information that could aid in future attacks.

The alleged attack did not affect oil production or distribution.

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Saturday
Dec042010

Russian 'King of Spam' Pleads Not Guilty

Photo Courtesy - Getty Images(MILWAUKEE) -- A 23-year-old Milwaukee man who has been called the "King of Spam" by investigators was arraigned Friday and is being held without bail on federal charges.

Oleg Nikolaenko was arrested in Las Vegas last month, accused of violating the CAN-SPAM Act, which sets the rules for commercial email, when he allegedly masterminded a worldwide spam network that blasted out billions of e-mails.

He pleaded not guilty on Friday. According to prosecutors, Nikolaenko would place malicious code on unsuspecting users' computers and remotely hijack the machines to send out one-third of the unwanted messages around the world.

According to Steve Jones, an Internet expert at the University of Illinois at Chicago, the technology Nikolaenko allegedly employed could easily spam just about every Internet user around the world in a day.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Erica O'Neil had asked that Nikolaenko be detained because he has no ties to the United States and would be at risk to return to Russia, according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Copyright 2010 ABC News Radio







ABC News Radio