(WASHINGTON) -- The White House says there is “very little doubt” that the Assad regime is responsible for the alleged chemical attack in Syria that is said to have taken place earlier this week.
“Based on the reported number of victims, reported symptoms of those who were killed or injured, witness accounts, and other facts,” a senior U.S. official tells ABC News, “There is very little doubt at this point that a chemical weapon was used by the Syrian regime against civilians in this incident. We are continuing to assess the facts so the President can make an informed decision about how to respond to this indiscriminate use of chemical weapons.”
White House officials also point out the attack was on rebel-held territory and apparently done using rockets that the rebels do not possess.
The president has ordered his national security team to draw up possible strike options on Syria, but there is a divide in the White House on how forcefully to respond, although the official told ABC News if there is a strike, it must be “timely” — done soon enough to prevent another chemical attack.
On Sunday, Syria said it will agree to allow the United Nations to visit the site of the alleged attacks.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio